SEED DEALER LICENSING
The seed program licenses seed dealers, seed labelers, and seed conditioning facilities to ensure the quality of seeds being sold in Montana.
Who Needs A Seed Dealer License?
- Any seed dealer distributing seed in Montana
- Any person whose name appears on the label as a seed labeler
- Any facility that conditions seed
- Any Montana producer selling their own production with a gross annual sales value of more than $5,000
- Any person who sells and or labels seed that he or she produces, and has gross annual sales of $5,000.00 or more
- Any person whose name and address appear on the label of agricultural seed sold in Montana shall obtain a seed labeler's license before doing business in Montana.
- Any person who sells agricultural seed in Montana shall obtain a seed dealer's license from the department for each place where seed is located or sold.
- Any person who sells and or labels seed that he or she produces, and has gross annual sales of $5,000.00 or more, shall obtain a Montana seed growers license.
Licenses are to be renewed by July 1st each year.
Annual Dealer License Fees:
- $75.00 - Montana Seed Dealer
- $130.00 - Non-Resident Seed Dealer
- $75.00 - Montana or Non-Resident Labeler whose company name & address appears on the seed label
- $75.00 - A facility (permanent or portable) that conditions seed for sale
- $75.00 - A Montana producer selling more than $5,000 worth of seed he/she produced on his/her farm
Annual Seed Inspection fee:
- $0.25 per $100.00 gross annual sales
Annual Seed Assessment
Seed labelers located outside Montana who sell agricultural seed in Montana shall report those sales and pay an assessment fee per $100 gross annual sales of agricultural seed. These assessments are due to the department 30 days after the licensing period ending.