There’s a new noxious weed education campaign gaining support in Montana called Fight 5. The Fight 5 campaign stresses the need for everyone to get involved and become educated about noxious weeds and the detrimental effects that they cause to ecosystems, wildlife, birds, insects, our livelihoods, and the recreational activities we take for granted.
The goal of the Fight 5 campaign is to encourage everyone to learn about five species of noxious weeds that affect a recreational activity that interests you. If you’re unsure of what your Five are, here are some suggestions based on your recreational activity of choice.
Noxious weeds are everyone’s problem, and in one way or another they can and do have an impact on us all. The Fight 5 campaign takes Montana’s 32 state listed noxious weeds down to five that you chose to learn more about based on your interests and hobbies.
1. Pick your favorite recreational activity.
2. Pick five non-native species that have a negative impact on your favorite recreational activity.
3. Become knowledgeable about how to identify Your 5 non-native species.
4. Learn about how you can participate in the management strategies for Your 5.
5. Gather phone numbers for who to contact (federal, state, county, city, or tribal weed coordinator), in case you find one of Your 5 when you are out recreating and enjoying the Great Outdoors.
If you are unsure of what noxious weeds to chose as Your 5, below are a few ideas based on your recreational activity of choice:
Published: December 10, 2012 11:52:00 AM MST.
Last Modified: April 1, 2013 2:21:20 PM MDT