The Montana Department of Agriculture has the responsibility to ensure that pesticides are available for use and do not pose an unreasonable adverse effect on human health or the environment.
The department's Agricultural Services Bureau works to this end by:
- Reviewing pesticide registrations
- Training applicators to use pesticides appropriately
- Providing licensing of pesticide applicators and dealers
- Providing technical and compliance assistance to applicators and landowners, utilizing enforcement authority when necessary
- Providing environmental protection services such as waste pesticide disposal, pesticide container recycling, and monitoring of our water resources
Please see the links at the left for more information on individual programs.
What is NEW?
Online Payments are now available for:
License Renewal Late Fees
Training Manuals/ Study Materials
Pesticide Training Courses
Pesticide Product Registrations
Click HERE for instructions.
- Pollinator Protection Symposium- Free Training (3 CEU's Available)- September 17th
Hosted by MT Department of Agriculture at Montana Wild Education Center, Helena 12:30-4:30 p.m.
Keynote Speaker: Craig Regelbrugge, Sr. Vice President, AmericanHort®
Register by mail, email or fax - Registration Form (pdf) , Registration Form (doc)
Mail form to:
Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N. Roberts
Helena, MT 59602
Contact Beth Eiring for details: 406-444-9066
- New certification study manuals released in November 2014:
(10) Core Manual - National Pesticide Applicator Certification second edition 2014.
(36) Aquatic Weed - Aquatic Pest Control EPA Region 8 Pesticide Application.
- Using Restricted Use Pesticides in Indian Country: Pesticide applicators wanting to apply restricted use pesticides in Indian country within Montana’s borders must obtain an EPA federal pesticide certification. Submit a complete federal certification application form and a photocopy of both sides of your current and valid State of Montana pesticide license to the EPA regional office at:
US EPA, Region 8
Attn: Region 8 Certification
1595 Wynkoop St, 8P-P3T
Denver, CO 80202
The application form and instructions can be downloaded at:
- Structural Pest Control Operators: As a result of your input, the EPA has now requested labels for pyrethroid products used on structures. Look for the new labels allowing expanded exterior treatments soon.
- Bed Bug Information: Check out EPA's Bed Bug Clearinghouse. This website has information for pest control operators, schools, hotels, landlords, health care facilities, and many other audiences. The Centers for Disease Control and EPA have determined that bed bugs are a pest of significant public health importance. Read more in the link to better understand risks associated with bed bugs and how government agencies are working together to provide support and resources to those affected.
- Rodents: Manage ground squirrels and other field rodent pests. Check out our bulletins or contact our vertebrate pest specialist to make sure you are doing it right!
2015 MDA Pesticide Applicator and Dealer Training Schedule Click Here