Facts About Farmers Markets
Growth of Montana Farmers Markets
National & Montana Farmers Market Facts
Direct marketing of farm products through farmers markets continues to be an important sales outlet for agricultural producers nationwide. Farmers markets, now an integral part in the urban/farm linkage, have continued to rise in popularity, mostly due to the growing consumer interest in obtaining fresh products directly from the farm. The number of farmers' markets nationally grows every year, and this growth clearly indicates that farmers' markets are meeting the needs of a growing number of farmers with small- to medium-size operations.
- Number of Montana farmers markets: 71
- Estimated 2013 revenue at Montana farmers markets: $1.8 million
Who benefits from Farmers Markets?
- Small farm operators: Those with less than $250,000 in annual receipts who work and manage their own operations meet this definition (94 percent of all farms).
- Farmers and consumers: Farmers have direct access to markets to supplement farm income. Consumers have access to locally grown, farm-fresh produce and the opportunity to personally interact with the farmer who grows the produce.
- The Community: Many urban communities where fresh, nutritious foods are scarce gain easy access to food. Farmers markets also help to promote nutrition education, wholesome eating habits, and better food preparation, as well as boosting the community's economy.
More National Farmers Markets Facts
Published: Wed May 11 11:59:00 MDT 2011.
Last Modified: Mon Jun 15 15:58:14 MDT 2015