Home » Programs » Commodities » Feed

Quick Access

Commercial Feeds
Livestock eating blended feed

What does the Feed Program do for you?

The program licenses and regulates commercial feed manufacturers and dealers to ensure the quality of feed products distributed in Montana. Objectives:

  • Safeguard the health of humans and animals
  • Promote safe and effective nutrition for livestock and companion animals
  • Ensure truth in labeling
  • Ensure standardization and uniformity of terms and definitions used in the feed industry.


The feed program samples feed products at manufacturing sites, storage areas, distribution and transit points, retail stores, and on-farm feed mixing areas. Samples are analyzed at the department's Analytical Laboratory for compliance with labeling claims. Test results are reported to manufacturers. All feed products must be properly and accurately labeled. (Unprocessed hay is not regulated by the program.)


Who Needs a Feed Dealer License?

Any person or business that manufactures, distributes or acts as a guarantor for commercial feed. Distributors of pet food do not require a dealer license. Use the link on the left for more information on licensing requirements.

Who Needs to Register a Feed Product?

Manufacturers of pet foods and specialty pet foods must register all products by January 1 of each year. Product labels are subject to review upon request by the department. Other commercial feeds are not required to be registered but manufacturers must obtain a Feed License. For more information use the registration link in the navigation to the left.

Safeguards for BSE

The program inspects feed for prohibited substances to ensure compliance with regulations to prevent the occurrence of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), a feed-borne illness that could be transmitted to other animals or humans.




Falina Hutchinson
Feed/Fertilizer Program Specialist
Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-5415
E-mail: FHutchinson@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466

Bob Church
Feed/Fertilizer Program Manager
Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-5410
E-mail: BChurch@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466

Commodity Services Bureau

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3730
E-mail: agr@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466


Published: April 1, 2011 2:37:00 PM MDT.
Last Modified: September 8, 2016 3:34:50 PM MDT