Quick Access

Commodity Dealer & Warehouse Licensing

Warehouse Licensing Requirements

Grain probe

A commodity warehouse is required to be licensed and obtain surety in the form of a bond, certificate of deposit or letter of credit.


See instructions for the use of required forms (Links below):

  • Dealer/Warehouse application
  • Financial statement prepared by a licensed accountant in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
  • Certificate of insurance for policy that covers stored commodities
  • Surety Bond, certificate of deposit or letter of credit (forms of bonding)
  • Sample copies of warehouse receipt, scale ticket and delayed payment contract, if applicable
  • Schedule of storage charges and other services (must be posted at location)
  • Current drawing of warehouse including dimensions and volumes.
  • Designation of Agent form required for companies doing business in the state but headquartered outside Montana  


Annual Fees

New license application and renewals (prior to July 1) - $464 per Montana location

Late fee for annual renewals submitted after July 1 - $50


Licensing fees are per location. Facilities that maintain a U.S. Warehouse Act license need not apply for a state warehouse license. Separate commodity dealer licenses are required for each location. Montana code and administrative rules provide details. Questions can be addressed to department staff.






Greg Stordahl

Commodity & Seed Program Manager

Business Examiner
Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3950
E-mail: GStordahl@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466

Andy Gray
Commodity Services Bureau Chief
Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3730
E-mail: angray@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466


Published: Mon Apr 04 13:58:00 MDT 2011.
Last Modified: Mon Jun 13 16:07:43 MDT 2016