Quick Access

Commodity Dealer & Warehouse Licensing

Commodity Dealer Licensing Requirements

Producer unloading grain at harvest

Commodity dealer licensing

A commodity dealer is required to be licensed and obtain surety in the form of a bond, certificate of deposit or letter of credit. (The law does not apply to dealer-to-dealer transactions.) Exceptions to licensing are described in the 80-4-402, MCA.  A commodity dealer who is also a licensed seed dealer (Most commodities purchased are for resale as agricultural seed) can file for a seed dealer fee reduction using the form below.


See the instructions for use of required forms, linked below, including:

  • Dealer/Warehouse application
  • Financial statement prepared by a licensed accountant in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
  • Surety Bond, certificate of deposit or letter of credit (forms of bonding)
  • Sample copy of delayed payment contract, if applicable
  • Designation of Agent form required for companies doing business in the state but headquartered outside Montana  


Annual fees

New license applications and renewals (prior to July 1) - $464 per Montana location

New applications and renewals with seed dealer fee reduction - $100 per location

Late fee for annual renewals submitted after July 1 - $50


Licensing fees are per location and an additional license is required for businesses also operating as a state warehouse. Montana code and administrative rules provide definitions. Questions can be addressed to department staff.




Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3950

Email: csb-mtplants@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466

Andy Gray
Commodity Services Bureau Chief
Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3730
E-mail: angray@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466


Published: Mon Apr 04 13:58:00 MDT 2011.
Last Modified: Mon Oct 24 11:00:01 MDT 2016