Home » Producer » Seed » Licensing

Quick Access

Seed Licensing

Seed Dealer Licensing

  • Any facility located in the state that condition agricultural seed shall obtain a seed conditioning plant license from the department for each facility. However, a seed grower, when conditioning only seed from that grower's own production is not required to be licensed.
  • Any person whose name and address appear on the label of agricultural seed sold in Montana shall obtain a seed labeler's license before doing business in Montana.
  • Any person who sells agricultural seed in Montana shall obtain a seed dealer's license from the department for each place where seed is located or sold.
  • Any person who sells and or labels seed that he or she produces, and has gross annual sales of $5,000.00 or more, shall obtain a Montana seed growers license.


Licenses are issued annually with renewal on July 1st each year.


Annual Assessment of out of State Seed Labelers Sales

Seed labelers located outside Montana who sell agricultural seed in Montana shall report those sales and pay an assessment fee per $100 gross annual sales of agricultural seed. These assessments are due to the department 30 days after the licensing period ending.


Annual Dealer License Fees:

$75.00 - Montana Seed Dealer 
$130.00 - Non-Resident Seed Dealer
$75.00 - Montana or Non-Resident Labeler whose company name & address appears on the seed label
$75.00 - A facility (permanent or portable) that conditions seed for sale
$75.00 - A Montana producer selling more than $5,000 worth of seed he/she produced on his/her farm


Seed Annual Inspection fee:

$0.25 per $100.00 gross annual sales





Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3950

Email: csb-mtplants@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466


Published: Fri Oct 21 12:58:00 MDT 2011.
Last Modified: Thu Sep 22 09:05:14 MDT 2016