Click here to download the What is Organic Certification? Fact Sheet (PDF format) from the USDA.
Fill Out Application Forms (Application, System Plan(s), and Land Application)
Application, Fees & Deadlines
- Complete application, sales report, appropriate system plans, land applications and submit, with applicable fees, to the Montana Department of Agriculture by March 15th for Crop Producers and Livestock Producers or by September 15th for Handlers.
- NEW APPLICANTS CAN APPLY AT ANY TIME AND ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THE LATE FEE!
- We can now take debit card/credit card payments over the phone. Please call (406) 444-7804 to make a payment.
- Respond to any questions regarding your application and supply additional information or documentation if requested.
- Establish and maintain necessary records and documentation of purchased materials, production or handling activities and product sales.
- Schedule on-site inspection.
- Provide access to all production records and documentation.
- Provide access to all production or handling sites.
- Notify the Department immediately of any changes to system plans (intended or unintended).
- Review certification decision letter and Organic certificate for accuracy.
- Report any discrepancies to the Department.
Recommended Record Keeping for Producers
- Seed Labels and Purchase Invoices or Receipts
- Seed Search Documentation (at least 3)
- Material Labels for those that are Used – Inoculants, Weed and Pest Control, Soil Amendments, Fertilizers, etc.
- Livestock Feed and Supplements Labels and Purchase Invoices/Receipts (if applicable)
- Livestock feeding Records (if applicable)
- Pasture Management Records (if applicable)
- Field Activity records/Field History Records
- Planting & Harvest Dates
- Crop Storage Records/Bins
- Sales Invoices, Bills of Lading, Scale Tickets
- Crop Summary Sheet (from MTDA form for Crop Rotation Records)
- Detailed Maps size 8 ½ x 11 Google Color Preferred
- Photos as Applicable for Verification
Recommended Record Keeping for Handlers
- Receiving Documents for All Ingredients (purchase orders, purchase invoices, freight bill of lading, scale tickets)
- Production Records
- Recipes or Current Product Profiles
- Current Organic Certificates from Ingredient Suppliers
- Equipment Clean-out and Purge Logs
- Sales Invoices & Bills of Lading
- Material Invoices (Cleaning, Packaging Materials etc.)
- Ingredient and Final Product Inventory Reports
- Shrink Log
- Pest Control Log and Labels for Materials used for Pest Control
- Detailed Sales by Item Reports of Organic Products