Quick Access

Specified resource not found!

Commercial Feeds

Product Registration

Bagged feed in warehouse

Manufacturers and guarantors of Pet Foods and Specialty Pet Foods, including complete feed, treats and snacks, must register all products by January 1 of each year. Other commercial feeds are not required to be registered.

Product labels are subject to review upon request by the department. Under Montana law, all pet food products must be labeled in accordance with Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) model regulations. This provides uniform labeling for all pet foods and treats on the market, enabling consumers the ability to compare and contrast different products with ease.

Label requirements:

  • Product name and brand
  • Medications (if any)
  • Statement specifying species of pet
  • Guaranteed analysis
  • Ingredient statement
  • Statement of nutritional adequacy
  • Feeding directions
  • Name and address of the manufacturer or guarantor
  • Net weight or quantity statement

Annual Product Registration

Pet food: $50.00 per product





Kay Deskins

Licensing & Registration Specialist

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-0510

E-mail: kDeskins@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466

Commodity Services Bureau

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3730
E-mail: agr@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466


Published: Thu Oct 20 15:00:00 MDT 2011.
Last Modified: Mon Jun 13 16:10:33 MDT 2016