Quick Access

Pesticide Applicators

Commercial, Noncommercial & Public Utility Applicator Licensing


Any person in the business of applying pesticides must obtain an applicator's license from the department. To obtain a license, a person must pass examinations, complete an application form and pay a licensing fee. See the licensing main page for definitions of specific license types. Commercial, non-commercial, special utility and government applicators also must pass exam questions related to pest categories in which they work.



Commercial applicators, except wood product treatment and seed treatment categories, must meet financial liability requirements. A commercial pesticide applicator must show proof of financial responsibility before a license is issued. An aerial applicator must carry minimum liability of $1,500. All other applicators must carry minimum liability of $500. The financial responsibility must be maintained in full force and be effective
during each entire licensing period.

The liability requirements may be met in one of three ways (forms below):

  1. Insurance - The insurance policy must cover any off-target chemical damage. This policy can have a deductible no higher than $500 except as provided by ARM 4.10.102(2).
  2. Surety Bond - This can be obtained through a bonding company.
  3. Liability Indemnity (certificate of deposit) - This can be obtained through your bank. The account must be automatically renewable and be held solely by the Montana Department of Agriculture. Its sole purpose must be to fulfill requirements imposed upon pesticide applicators by law as part of the licensing procedure.


Applicator licenses must be renewed annually on January 1 before pesticides are applied.


More information on initial licensing, study materials and pest categories is available in instructions for pesticide dealer and applicator licensing.  


Required Reports

Every five years, and specifically for calendar 2015, applicators must submit a summary report to the Montana Department of Agriculture containing information on the use and sale of agricultural chemicals. The summary report is for that one year only and is due by January 31 of the following year. If no restricted or general use pesticides are used during the time period, that information must be documented to the department.


How to obtain a license

  • Pass a core exam and category-specific sections for general and restricted-use products with an 80% or better score.
  • Meet liability requirements. (Commercial Applicators.)
  • Complete an application form.
  • Pay a license fee of $55.

$55.00 per year

$25.00 per operator (first 2 operators)
$10.00 per operator (additional operators)




Daniel Reimer
Applicator Licensing Specialist

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-4900
E-mail: dreimer2@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9493

Linda Johns
Pesticide Licensing, Registration, and Training

Program Manager

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3676
E-mail: ljohns@mt.gov


Published: August 25, 2016 2:00:00 PM MDT.
Last Modified: August 25, 2016 2:52:08 PM MDT