Important licensing dates

  • Week of October 27th - Applicator & dealer license renewal applications mailed
  • Week of December 1st - Private permit renewal applications mailed
  • December 5th - End 2014 licensing year, expire licenses; remove operators and sale people
  • December 9th - Begin 2015 licensing year, start processing license & permit applications
  • March 1st 2015 - Begin late fee for all renewals


2015 licensing renewal reminder


  • Commercial applicators must include or have an up to date insurance, or CD, or Bond form on file.
  • In order to renew your license having one or more of the following expiring categories:

10-Dealer license, 33-Forest Pest, 34-Ornamental & Turf, 36-Aquatic Pest,

41-Wood Treatment, 44-Special Utility, and 46-Piscicide

You must either:

a) Earn 12 credits prior to Jan 1st, 2015 in the categories you have that are listed above, or

b) Retake and pass the exam in these categories before renewing, or

c) Non-resident applicators and dealers can prove certification by including a copy of their renewed pesticide license from their state of residence.


All other categories not listed are not expiring this year so they can each be renewed regardless of credits earned to date.


Recertification exams can be taken at any of our field offices by appointment or at the main office in Helena on any working day between 8am and 2pm. Please call ahead to confirm!


Types of pesticide licenses

The department issues licenses to sell or apply pesticides after training and testing to protect producers, consumers and the environment. Staff can assist with applications to assure that they can be processed promptly. Applicator and dealer licenses are issued by type and category, with appropriate education and testing for each.


Click on the appropriate license type from the navigation list on the left to obtain information about fees, forms, reports and other aspects of licensing.


Applicator license types

Commercial applicators are individuals, who by contract or for hire, apply pesticides by aerial, ground, or hand equipment to land, plants, seed, animals, water, structures, or vehicles. Commercial applicators receive specialized training and testing appropriate to categories for which they are licensed. For more information click on Commercial Applicators in left menu.


Public Utility applicators apply pesticides to land owned or leased by a public utility. Training and licensing are the same as for commercial applicators. For more information click on Commercial Applicators in left menu.


Government operators are individuals who applies pesticides for a city, county o state or other government agency to public land or right-of-way, or as a public service. Must meet the above standards for commercial operators. Government operators can operate only within their respective governmental jurisdiction. For more information click on Government Applicators in left menu.


Non-Commercial applicators are individuals who cannot be classified as a commercial, public utility, governmental or private pesticide applicators, but desire to apply restricted-use pesticides. These individuals need to be classified into one of the 11 categories established for commercial applicators and may use restricted-use pesticides on lands owned, rented, or leased by an employer or by the license holder. For more information click on Commercial Applicators in left menu.


Operators - Employees of licensed or certified applicators who do not hold a commercial license must be licensed as operators and may not apply pesticides more than 100 miles from the licensed applicator's physical location. To obtain an operator's license, and individual may: 1) pass a department exam with a score of 70% or better; 2) attend a department training course; or 3) receive training from a certified applicator. Operator licenses must be renewed each calendar year before applying pesticides. See below for the Operator application form. For more information click on Commercial Applicators in left menu.


Nonresidents applying for a license to apply pesticides in Montana must be certified for applying pesticides in their state of residence. Passing our examination regarding Montana's Rules & Regulations is always required before applying for reciprocity. Look under Links below for our "Out of State Requirements" to see how to setup an examination as well as the full list of requirements for applying for a license. For more information click on Commercial Applicators in left menu.


A pesticide dealer is any person who sells, wholesales, exchanges, barters, or gives away any pesticide in or into Montana except products intended only for home, yard, garden, home orchard, ornamental trees, bushes, and lawn. For more information click on Pesticide Dealers in left menu.


Private Applicator are any person who applies restricted use pesticides to his/her own crop, land or leased lands. For more information click on Private Applicator in left menu.


Information also is available by calling the Department of Agriculture at (406) 444-5400, by e-mail at, by fax at (406) 444-5409.




Daniel Reimer
Applicator Licensing Specialist

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-4900
Fax: (406) 444-9493

Linda Johns
Pesticide Licensing, Registration, and Training

Program Manager

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3676


Published: December 10, 2010 10:45:00 AM MST.
Last Modified: May 4, 2015 2:38:48 PM MDT