Quick Access


Pesticide Training for Private Applicators

Planting canola
Planting canola

Farmers, ranchers, landowners and their employees seeking to apply restricted-use pesticides on farm-owned crops or land can become certified applicators by:

  • passing a graded written exam at local Montana State University (MSU) Extension Service offices, or
  • attending a training course provided by MSU Extension Service and taking an ungraded written exam.

Private applicators wanting to renew their licenses must acquire six continuing education credits during a 5-year renewal period by attending approved training courses. To register for, and track, continuing education credits see the "Continuing Education Training" tab at the left.


Renewals occur by region of the state. Visit or call an MSU Extension Service office or see the MSU pesticide training link below for more information about private applicator licensing.


To view Region chart click here: http://www.pesticides.montana.edu/PAT/index.html


Training and Renewal Schedule Private 2016 at a glance



Cecil Tharp

Pesticide Safety Education Program
Montana State University
P.O. Box 172900
Bozeman, MT 59717-2900
Phonel: (406) 994-5067
E-mail: ctharp@montana.edu

Linda Johns
Pesticide Licensing, Registration, and Training

Program Manager

Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3676
E-mail: ljohns@mt.gov


Published: Thu Aug 25 14:00:00 MDT 2016.
Last Modified: Thu Aug 25 14:45:23 MDT 2016