The Montana Department of Agriculture has the responsibility to ensure that pesticides are available for use and do not pose an unreasonable adverse effect on human health or the environment.
The department's Agricultural Services Bureau works to this end by:
- Reviewing pesticide registrations
- Training applicators to use pesticides appropriately
- Providing licensing of pesticide applicators and dealers
- Providing technical and compliance assistance to applicators and landowners, utilizing enforcement authority when necessary
- Providing environmental protection services such as waste pesticide disposal, pesticide container recycling, and monitoring of our water resources
Please see the links at the left for more information on individual programs.
What is NEW?
- Using Restricted Use Pesticides in Indian Country: Pesticide applicators wanting to apply restricted use pesticides in Indian country within Montana’s borders must obtain an EPA federal pesticide certification. Submit a complete federal certification application form and a photocopy of both sides of your current and valid State of Montana pesticide license to the EPA regional office at:
US EPA, Region 8
Attn: Region 8 Certification
1595 Wynkoop St, 8P-P3T
Denver, CO 80202
The application form and instructions can be downloaded at:
- Structural Pest Control Operators: As a result of your input, the EPA has now requested labels for pyrethroid products used on structures. Look for the new labels allowing expanded exterior treatments soon.
- Bed Bug Information: Check out EPA's Bed Bug Clearinghouse. This website has information for pest control operators, schools, hotels, landlords, health care facilities, and many other audiences. The Centers for Disease Control and EPA have determined that bed bugs are a pest of significant public health importance. Read more in the link to better understand risks associated with bed bugs and how government agencies are working together to provide support and resources to those affected.
- Rodents: Manage ground squirrels and other field rodent pests. Check out our bulletins or contact our vertebrate pest specialist to make sure you are doing it right!
2014 Fall Core Recertification Training- All commercial/government categories, 4 credits- Registration Packet
- 9/23 Kalispell (8am-12:30pm) Best Western Plus Flathead Lake– 4824 US 93S (near Somers)
- 9/24 Missoula (8am-12:30pm) University of Montana-University Center 32 Campus Drive
- 10/1 Bozeman (8am-12:30pm) MSU-Strand Union Building Ballroom
- 10/3 Great Falls (8am-12:30pm) MSU Great Falls College– 2100 16th Avenue S
- 10/7 Glasgow (8:30-1pm) Cottonwood Inn– 45 1st Ave NE
- 10/21 Billings (8am-12:30pm) Hilton Garden Inn– 2465 Grant Rd
Registration opens August 1st. Registration forms will be mailed to all licensed commercial/government applicators. Registrations forms, agenda, directions, and online registration will be available here August 1st.
2015 SAVE THE DATES!
It's never too early to plan. We have several new training opportunities coming in 2015. Registration will open late December.
- Initial Training for Right of Way/Reg Weed February 23, 9am-3pm (test Feb. 27) Billings
- Initial Core Training for new applicators February 24-27 (test Feb. 27) Billings
- Initial Training for Ornamental and Turf March 9, 9am-3pm (test Mar. 13) Helena
- Initial Core Training for new applicators March 10-13 (test Mar. 13) Helena
- Recertification Training Right of Way/Reg Weed February 23, 9am-2pm (4 credits) Billings
- Recertification Training Ornamental and Turf March 9, 9am-2pm (4 credits) Helena