Quick Access

Commodity Dealer & Warehouse Licensing

Warehouse Licensing Requirements

Grain probe

A commodity warehouse is required to be licensed and obtain surety in the form of a bond, certificate of deposit or letter of credit.


See instructions for the use of required forms (Links below):

  • Dealer/Warehouse application
  • Financial statement prepared by a licensed accountant in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
  • Certificate of insurance for policy that covers stored commodities
  • Surety Bond, certificate of deposit or letter of credit (forms of bonding)
  • Sample copies of warehouse receipt, scale ticket and delayed payment contract, if applicable
  • Schedule of storage charges and other services (must be posted at location)
  • Current drawing of warehouse including dimensions and volumes.
  • Designation of Agent form required for companies doing business in the state but headquartered outside Montana  


Annual Fees

New license application and renewals (prior to July 1) - $464 per Montana location

Late fee for annual renewals submitted after July 1 - $50


Licensing fees are per location. Facilities that maintain a U.S. Warehouse Act license need not apply for a state warehouse license. Separate commodity dealer licenses are required for each location. Montana code and administrative rules provide details. Questions can be addressed to department staff.






Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3950

Email: csb-mtplants@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466

Andy Gray
Commodity Services Bureau Chief
Montana Department of Agriculture
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-3730
E-mail: angray@mt.gov
Fax: (406) 444-9466


Published: Mon Apr 04 13:58:00 MDT 2011.
Last Modified: Thu Sep 08 15:32:10 MDT 2016