Agricultural Development Division
ADD Division Goal:
- To enhance, expand and diversify Montana's agricultural economy, thereby improving the general economy of the state of Montana by providing services which include market and agri-business development, Growth Through Agriculture grants and loans, wheat and barley research and marketing, agriculture loans, beginning farmer/rancher loans, hail insurance, grain grading and inspection, agriculture literacy and outreach, and administration of agricultural commodity research and market development programs.
- Assist in increasing sales, profitability and overall success of Montana's agriculturally-based businesses operating in domestic and global markets.
- Provide technical assistance and decision-making information to Montana’s farmers and ranchers, helping them capture more value from their crops, livestock and land.
- Work with other service providers, community groups, and other agencies to improve opportunities to expand agriculture and agriculture related businesses in Montana.
- Support the Agriculture Development Council and administer the Growth Through Agriculture program which provides financial assistance to entrepreneurs for the startup and expansion of agriculturally-based businesses.
- Provide basic hail insurance coverage through the State Hail Insurance Program on crops grown in Montana so producers have an affordable hail loss protection option.
- Provide financial assistance to Montana agriculture by administering the Agriculture Finance program.
- Administer the producer funded Commodity Research and Market Development Programs.
- Administer the USDA, Agriculture Marketing Service, Specialty Crop Block Grant program to enhance Montana’s specialty crop industry.
- Increase agriculture literacy in Montana through educational outreach to teachers and schools.
State Grain Laboratory Bureau Objectives:
- Provide timely, official, objective and accurate test results to buyers and sellers of Montana grain under standards set by the USDA Federal Grain Inspection Service.
- Provide timely, official, sampling services and testing of other Montana commodities.
- Maintain USDA Federal Grain Inspection Service designation and provide official sampling services to Montana.
Wheat & Barley Bureau Objectives:
- Fund research that improves profitability of Montana’s wheat and barley growers.
- Develop and maintain international and domestic trade relationships that drive sales of Montana wheat and barley.
- Monitor, create and disseminate information about Montana’s wheat and barley production.
Published: November 13, 2012 3:30:00 PM MST.
Last Modified: November 7, 2014 8:34:56 AM MST