Organic Handler Application Forms - Required for Certification
Organic Handler System Plan - Required for Certification
Organic Handler Product Profiles - Required for Certification
Organic Handler Labeling Information
We can now take debit card/credit card payments over the phone. Please call (406) 444-7804 to make a payment.
New producer applications may be submitted at any time and are not subject to the late fee.
Application Fees (submitted with the application)
Download the Handler Application Fee Schedule as an MS Word document or as a PDF document.
- Base Fee
- Operations with gross Organic sales/handling charges less than $20,000: $600
- Operations with gross Organic sales/handling charges of $20,001 - 40,000: $700
- Operations with gross Organic sales/handling charges of $40,001-100,000: $800
- Operations with gross Organic sales/handling charges of $100,001-250,000: $900
- Operations with gross Organic sales/handling charges of $250,001-500,000: $1,000
- Operations with gross Organic sales/handling charges of $500,001-1,000,000: $1,250
- Operations with gross Organic sales/handling charges greater than $1,000,000: $1,500
- Producer/Handler Allowance (if applying for both categories) subtract: -$115
- New Application Credit (for first-time applicants) subtract: -$100
- Late Fee: $200 for renewals after September 15
- Applications to renew handler certification are due by September 15th annually.
- An additional $100 late fee applies for each additional month past October 15th.
Certified Handling operations pay an annual assessment fee based on their level of gross annual sales of and handling charges for organic products. Assessments are charged according to the following schedule:
- Operations must pay a minimum assessment fee of: $150
- Operations must pay: 0.5% of sales
- Operations will pay a maximum of: $5,000
Billed at cost of service, plus 10% administrative fee.
- Product Profile Review Fee for each new/revised label: $35
- Expedited Services Fee: A surcharge of up to $1,000 may be charged for expedited services depending on the speed, time of year, and resources required. The department may set pricing standards within department policy.
The department shall assess a Collection Fee of 18% annual percentage rate or a minimum fee of $25, whichever is greater, for any un-paid balances not received on or before the last regular business day of the month. The department may require payment of past-due fees prior to providing certification services.